Update on Relevant U.S. Regulations
UCR Board to Meet in November
On October 29, 2015, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) issued a notice, announcing that the Unified Carrier Registration Plan Board of Directors will be meeting on November 19, 2015.
ITS Program Advisory Committee to Host Conference Call
On October 26, 2015, the Department of Transportation (DOT) issued a notice, announcing that the Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Program Advisory Committee (ITSPAC) will hold a teleconference on November 13, 2015.
FMCSA Extends Compliance Dates for URS Rule
On October 21, 2015, FMCSA issued a notice, delaying the effective and compliance dates for its August 23, 2013, Unified Registration System (URS) final rule. FMCSA is delaying implementation in order to give the agency additional time to complete the information technology (IT) systems work required to fully implement that rule. The effective date is now September 30, 2016, except for §§ 365.T106, 368.T3, and 390.T200, which are effective from December 12, 2015 through September 29, 2016.
PHMSA Publishes Updates on Special Permits
On October 19, 2015, the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA) published updates on Special Permit Applications.
- List of Applications for Special Permits – Comments due November 18, 2015
- List of Applications for Modification of Special Permits – Comments due November 3, 2015
- Notice of Actions on Special Permit Applications
- List of Applications Delayed More Than 180 Days
DOT Issues Update on Significant Rulemakings
On October 16, 2015, DOT published its monthly Report on DOT Significant Rulemakings. The report included the following updates:
- Safety Fitness Determination Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) – publication has been delayed just over a month, from September 30, 2015 to November 4, 2015.
- CDL Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse Final Rule – publication is still scheduled for March 2, 2016.
- ELD Final Rule –publication is still scheduled for October 30, 2015.
- MAP-21 Enhancements to the Unified Registration System NPRM – publication is still scheduled for June 20, 2016.
- MAP-21 Prohibition of Coercion Final Rule – publication is still scheduled for October 29, 2015.
- FMCSA/NHTSA Joint Rule on Heavy Vehicle Speed Limiters – publication has been delayed one month, from September 21, 2015 to October 21, 2015. The proposal is still under review at the Office of Management and Budget (OMB).
- Entry-Level Driver Training NPRM – publication has been delayed one month, from November 16, 2015 to December 11, 2015
- State Inspection Programs for Passenger Carrier Vehicles Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) – publication scheduled for January 6, 2016.
- Motorcoach Rollover Structural Integrity Final Rule – publication is still scheduled for May 21, 2016.
- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 150 – Vehicle to Vehicle (V2V) Communication NPRM – publication is scheduled for May 30, 2016.
- Wetlines Final Rule – after review, PHMSA proposes to withdraw the Final Rule, withdrawal is scheduled for October 21, 2015.
Update on Exemptions
CVSA Active Exemption Tracker
CVSA maintains a list of active exemptions issued by FMCSA. Members can access the document by logging into their CVSA member account and clicking on the ‘Exemptions Tracker’ tab at the top of the page.