A CVSA decal is a colored sticker featuring the year in which the inspection was performed, along with the CVSA trademarked logo.
The quarter in which an inspection was performed is indicated by the color of the decal issued.
- Green – Decals issued in January, February or March
- Yellow – Decals issued in April, May or June
- Orange – Decals issued in July, August or September
- White – Decals issued in October, November or December
The year of issuance is indicated with the last number of the calendar year (i.e. 2017 is indicated by the number “7”), with the CVSA trademark directly below the year. Affixed CVSA decals are valid for the month of issuance plus two months. For example, a CVSA decal issued on July 28, 2017, will expire on Sept. 30, 2017.
CVSA decals affixed on the first month of a new calendar quarter must have both upper corners removed. Those issued during the second month of the same quarter must have the upper right corner removed. No corners are removed from those CVSA decals issued during the last month of a calendar quarter.
Location of CVSA Decals
After completion of a Level I or Level V Inspection, if there are no critical violations, a CVSA decal will be applied to the vehicle by the certified inspector. The placement of the decal is detailed below.
- The location for affixing a CVSA decal on a power unit shall be on the lower right corner of the exterior surface of the passenger’s windshield.
- The location for affixing a CVSA decal on trailing units (i.e. trailers, full trailers, semi-trailers, converter dollies) shall be on the lower right corner as near the front as possible.
- The location for a CVSA decal on a cargo tank semi-trailer shall be at eye-level near the right front of the cargo tank and on the lower right corner of the exterior surface of the passenger’s windshield of a straight truck.
- The location for a CVSA decal on passenger vehicles shall be on the glass portion (window) of the passenger door as close to inspector’s eye level as possible.
An expired CVSA decal will be removed before a new CVSA decal is affixed.